[meteorite-list] Fireballs & Known Meteor Showers

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 17:16:00 -0400

Chris, Sterling,
Thank you for those very good explanations. I assume from that , that you have ruled out this fireball as being a related part of the current Lyrid meteor shower.
The reason I asked is because during The Taurids meteor shower of 2008 (Nov. 8-14.) On Nov. 8th my wife and I had occasion to be hit on the windshield by a prospect Taurid meteorite?
At the time Sterling correctly identified it from photos I had posted as a piece of road tar. Knowing there are hardly any roads with tar in space. I subsequently went back to the impact site . After a short time I was able to find on the side of the street a much better prospect than the road tar. Yes, it does look unusual for a meteorite and after filing a window it is mostly magnetite with olivine inclusions clearly visible from it's exterior crust as well. But, being magnetite I suspect nobody will want to investigate it. This In spite of the fact that magnetite and forsterite ( olivine) are two of the minerals that we do know exist in space and are associated with comets specifically.
Here is a link to it once again but, with the rock found the second time looking..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13030472 at N07/sets/72157622480549073

Hopefully this is all of the extraordinary proof we will ever need.
Although I do realize these weirdo objects like this may require testing for Cosmic ray exposure.
Weighs in at 4.46 grams but is still much bigger than any IDP's. (Interplanetary dust particles.)
Thanks Carl
--
Carl or Debbie Esparza
Meteoritemax