[meteorite-list] Fireballs & Known Meteor Showers

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 14:30:24 -0600

The thing is, we really have a very poor idea what comets are made of.
Despite a few probes, they remain very mysterious things. Some comets may
essentially be asteroids with volatiles, some asteroids may be comets that
no longer have volatiles. The connection between comets and CC-like material
is pretty tenuous, as well. We don't know if cometary material fails
(generally, or always) to make it to the ground because it's too fragile, or
because the meteoroids in a cometary debris trail are simply too small.

The reliable way to say that a fireball is unrelated to a shower is not
mineralogical, but depends on identifying the source of the parent body-
either the radiant or the actual orbit. I try to rule out active showers
with every fireball I investigate. Although I have a fair degree of
confidence from the beginning whether I'm seeing something of cometary or
asteroidal origin, it never hurts to support that with evidence.
Fortunately, there seems to be plenty of instrumented data on the Wisconsin
event to establish the radiant with fair accuracy. If the radiant matches an
active shower, we don't know for certain what's going on. But if it doesn't,
we can conclusively disassociate the fireball from known showers.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com