[meteorite-list] Flow lines on the INSIDE! Not. (cleaning irons follow-up)

From: Michael Murray <mmurray_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 18:46:14 -0600

Hi All,
I put my little suspect iron in a solution of water and calcium
carbonate. I actually wrapped it loosely with tinfoil and sat that
down in the mixture. I got out my trusty battery charger and
connected the red lead to a sacrificial piece of junk strap metal and
sat that down along one side of the plastic bowl. I connected the
black lead to the tinfoil. Actually clamping it against the side of
the bowl same as I did the piece of strap on the other side of the
bowl. Anyway, I poured in a couple teaspoons cleanser and swished it
around with a plastic spoon so it was dissolved good. Plugged in the
charger and watched as a steady stream of bubbles headed from the
tinfoil towards the sacrificial anode strap. After about two hours of
cooking, I can now see what I have. A really sculptured, bright
chrome something that is as hard or harder than tool steel (don't ask
how I know that last bit) and shaped like a stretched out version of
Willamette. I did a nickel test and think now with all I see that it
might need to go to someone to get checked further if I want to know
for sure. Anyway, the process worked better than I was expecting.
Doesn't seem to be dangerous to do. I put the charger on 12V, 6 amp
scale. I left the solution outside when it was cooking. I treated
my specimen to a bath in penetrating oil when I had finished cleaning
it. One more interesting tidbit, looks like after the red rust was
removed, left on the suspect rock is a very thin black coating in
quite a few places, mostly in the low spots. If that is magnetite
then I answered my own question, no, the process doesn't remove the
oxide, only the red rust. My little experiment worked well enough for
my purposes, but hopefully no one with a stone of any value will
follow my lead. I would hate to think I inspired someone to ruin a
valuable specimen.

Mike in CO