[meteorite-list] AD... Time to get back to work

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 13:51:30 -0700

Hi List,

Regarding watchers. They're worthless...

Not the person mind you, but the fact that they are nothing more than a
number in the "My Ebay" section, they mean nothing to the seller and
provide no benefit at all other than to let the seller know they aren't
buying.

The only time a watcher becomes worth anything to the seller is when
they buy. Did you know that a seller cannot contact a watcher? This is
ok I guess, but it seems silly to me that Ebay does not allow sellers to
contact watchers. There have been countless times I've had 10-20
watchers on an item and would have loved to have the chance to contact
any one of those members to offer them a deal or ask "WHY" they are not
buying at that moment.

It's rather frustrating in my opinion and I liken it to a looky-loo
walking into my brick and mortar store. Ebay basically says that people
can come in, and look around and even place an item in their watch list,
but you can't talk to them. Being able to talk to a potential customer
is crucial and could add ultimately to Ebay's bottom line through final
value fees through increased sales for sellers.

Ebay is supposed to be smart right? So why the hell don't they allow you
to contact watchers? It's not about security... If Ebay allowed it,
sellers "could" contact watchers anonymously without Ebay ever having to
release a buyers contact information if they do it through Ebay's
contact buyer form within the My Ebay section. No personal information
is given out, and the buyer is given another opportunity to buy. Ebay
gets the final value fee, sellers get the sale and buyers get a deal!
Win, Win, Win all round!

I've been selling on Ebay for over 10 years. I've sold thousands upon
thousands of items as have many sellers, and over the years I've noticed
as other sellers can attest that Ebay has become more and more biased
against sellers and give obvious favor to the buyer. So much so that
Ebay is truly "Hell for sellers & a haven for buyers." Don't believe me?
Try selling 25-100 items on Ebay and you'll see the fees are outrageous
and the rules are ever tightening. The new rules that forbid sellers
from being able to leave negative feedback for buyers, constantly
increasing fees, and worse, the blatant conflict of interest of Ebay
owning it's own payment gateway Paypal is unfair and idiotic and should
be illegal. Not to mention forcing sellers who don't have their own
merchant account to use Paypal for their ONLY payment method... Did you
know that sellers are not allowed to accept Money Orders or Personal
checks any more, period? Ebay claims this is for security and fraud
prevention, but when you realize that they own Paypal, and by forcing
all payments through Paypal they make 10's of millions of dollars per
year because of this. Not to mention the increased payment processing
fees to sellers! Sellers have no power over this other than to get their
own merchant account (which we do have) but we're still not allowed to
accept money orders or personal checks.

Anyway, that's enough of my Ebay rant, there's way more things that most
buyers NEVER realize or know about from a sellers point of view but not
really the subject of this forum.

Ebay is screwing themselves over, and eventually their will be a
competitor that will start snagging their market share.

They are ripe for it...

Regards,
Eric