[meteorite-list] Nickel tests

From: Michael Murray <mmurray_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 18:50:51 -0600

For what they are worth, here are a couple suggestions...
If you place the suspect iron on a strong magnet, then remove the
magnet, the suspect iron should not retain magnetism (if it's a
meteorite) but should to some extent if man-made iron. Kind of like
magnetizing the tip of a screwdriver. You can test the once
magnetized suspect iron to see if it will attract fine particles of
magnetite, Not very scientific I know but it is a good indicator I
think.

Another thing you can try if the suspect iron is not very big is to
place it on a strong magnet (super magnet if you have one) and if the
iron piece wants to orient itself up on one of it's ends on the
magnet, I would rule out meteorite. If your suspect iron is large,
you'd probably have to remove a small piece of it to do this test. If
the small piece lays down on any of it's sides on the magnet and
doesn't want to orient itself, I'd put it in my 'it's a keeper for
more testing' pile.

I bought a couple nickel test kits. I have tried to be as careful as
possible to do a clean uncontaminated test on several suspect irons.
After doing quite a few, I still don't trust the results. It's not
that I don't get positives, I do. It's that I've learned not trust
the positive tests all that much. If I find a big enough suspect iron
someday with enough other indicators that it could be a meteorite then
I will let a lab do the testing so I can rest assured the results are
going to be more trustworthy than mine. Meanwhile, my 'it's a keeper
for more testing' pile continues to grow.

Mike in CO