[meteorite-list] Nickel tests

From: Mike Hankey <mike.hankey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 14:27:14 -0400

I've done some nickel tests on some of the slag/meteor wrongs we have found.

It tests positive for nickel.

Does this sound normal?

So I guess the only way to confirm slag (if you can't do it visually)
is to cut it open and if there are holes / bubbles then it is slag. Or
if the slice doesn't look like a meteorite slice it is slag.

For the record, I am personally looking for west like fusion crusted
stones and this is what I am training people to look for. At the same
time when I get reports about weird rocks I have to follow up and take
a look. Not all slag looks the same, there are a lot of different
types. I'm getting pretty good at identifying / ruling things out, but
the nickel test threw me for a loop.