[meteorite-list] New Australian fall-Non Vesta Eucrite

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 21:57:16 -0400

I don't think there's a difference between any of these meteorites in
terms of what we should call them. We just don't have consistent
terminology in place. Ibitira, NWA 011, and, it appears, Bunburra
Rockhole are all basaltic achondrites that seem to come from a separate
parent body than other basaltic achondrites. In my opinion, none of
these should be called a eucrite, just as we don't call angrites
eucrites. I would prefer to call them ungrouped basaltic achondrites.

If I had a peer-reviewed reference that handled the nomenclature well,
I'd change the recommended classifications in the MetBull database.

Jeff

--
Dr. Jeffrey N. Grossman       phone: (703) 648-6184
US Geological Survey          fax:   (703) 648-6383