[meteorite-list] New Australian fall-Non Vesta Eucrite

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 18:17:10 -0700

Well, oxygen isotopes are one thing, but orbital data would seem to be
a strange way to classify a meteorite to me; given the past four and a
half billion years of collisions, things have been far too 'messed up'
in the inner solar system for that to mean much; we have comets
present in stable orbits here in the innrer solar system, and it
doesn't mean that they formed there.
And most would also make a clear definition between chemical and
isotopic data, which he confuses (or the reference was a misquote) in
the article.
After all, Ibitira's a "Eucrite," but NWA 011's an ungrouped
achondrite. It's the chemical difference that seems to make the
difference in nomenclature.
Jason