[meteorite-list] Rocks from Space Picture of the Day -September14, 2009

From: Matt Morgan <mail_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 17:14:04 +0000

George
I don't think the heat was from the small meteorite itself, but the kinetic energy released by the impacting bodies. There was enough energy to form craters/pits that were 20-30m wide and down trees.
Like in all cratering events, there was a hot air blast caused by the energy release which may have charred the outside of the trees.

This is just a possible way to explain the charring, if in fact, that is what I am seeing on the bark of the tree (again, not behind the small meteorite).
Matt