[meteorite-list] Rocks from Space Picture of the Day -September 14, 2009

From: GeoZay at aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 13:04:38 EDT

>>I don't see any charring...only staining/rust. <<

Wanting to expand a little here...assuming the tree was alive when struck,
I don't think a small meteorite would carry enuf heat to cause any
charring that would be noticed today. Being one who relies on a woodstove as their
primary source of heat, I can attest that it's a real bear to get wet wood
to even think about burning. If it was a dead tree, I still doubt there
would be enuf heat in this small piece to cause anything to burn. If a small
piece was hot enuf to cause any charring, I can only imagine how much heat
would be in the larger pieces...were there any burnt trees in the
strewnfield area? I can't tell from the photograph, but was this piece a fragment or
an individual?
George Zay