[meteorite-list] Slow cooling rate of irons in space

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 22:33:53 -0600

Hi Sterling-

>From what I've read, there is actually a fair bit of doubt that Venus has a
molten interior. The only reason to think it does is because of its
similarity to Earth (in terms of size and density). But there's a lack of
good understanding about formation details (such as isotope types and
amounts), so quite a few planetary geologists (silly term, isn't it?)
consider it very possible that the core of Venus froze a long time ago.

In any case, more information is needed. And the fact that Venus has a weak
magnetic field doesn't mean it necessarily has a solid core (although that
remains an important piece of evidence in favor of that scenario); core
dynamos aren't well enough understood to know if a molten core always
produces a magnetic field.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory