[meteorite-list] Slow cooling rate of irons in space

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 23:21:37 -0500

Hi,

> Venus they're not sure about.

One thing I think we can be sure about is that
no one will ever use the phrase "so darn cold"
about Venus, as we stand next to a small creek
running with liquid lead and other low melting
point metals...

There are signs that may be recent activity on
Venus in some areas, but interpreting them
is in dispute. Generally, the surface of Venus
appears to have formed all at one time, crater
dated at 480 +/- 80 million years ago. The lack
of long-term change is attributed to the fact
that Venus's crust is, compared to the Earth's,
extremely thick and rigid, with no detectible
tectonic movement, recent mountain building,
or any of the other features of a "terrestrial"
planet. But, given the similarity in size, density
(and hence composition) to the Earth, few doubt
that Venus' core is as hot and active as our own.
It's just that nothing (much) can punch its way
through that heavy crust.

Sterling K. Webb