[meteorite-list] Let's talk about meteorites

From: Alan Rubin <aerubin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 09:24:00 -0700

Several folks have brought up interesting questions and I'll try to answer
them. But, first of all, I have to admit that I'm not an expert on iron
meteorites. There are many other researchers, including a few members of
this list, who are far more knowledgeable than I am.
        John Wasson has recently grouped various IAB and IIICD irons and
some ungrouped irons into a "IAB complex." These may be all from one
asteroid, or perhaps from several. They all have broadly similar metal
compositions and do not display element-element (e.g., Ir-Ni) concentration
plots that appear consistent with the fractional crystallization processes
that are believed to occur in the cores of molten asteroids. The silicates
in these irons also have the planetary-type rare gas abundances that we see
in chondrites but not in eucrites, presumably because they were volatilized
during the extensive melting that eucrites experienced. This suggests that
the silicates in these irons were rapidly cooled. This is consistent with
the model that they were derived from chondrites as is their approximately
chondritic bulk compositions. Now, the question of why these irons display
nice Widmanstatten patterns that appear consistent with slow cooling over
millions of years... I suspect that this is not due to monotonic cooling
but rather to annealing, perhaps induced by impact heating processes. If an
impact on a chondritic asteroid causes localized melting, metal and silicate
segregation and metal pooling on the crater floor (as in this model), then
the slow cooling indicated by the metal might be due to burial beneath
well-insulated debris (perhaps impact ejecta); such material would have a
low thermal diffusivity and would promote relatively slow cooling. Could it
be slow enough to cause a Widmanstatten pattern? I don't know, but repeated
impacts over the course of millions of years could cause periodic episodes
of annealing. This might (or might not) work. Although there may seem to
be an inconsistancy between the fast cooling of the silicates and the slow
cooling of the metal, this can be readily accommodated. Once the silicates
quench and the planetary gas is essentially sealed in, then they could be
annealed without much of the gas leaking out.
        It is important to note that not everyone agrees with the
impact-melting model for the IAB-IIICD and IIE irons. Others would argue
that these irons did form in differentiated asteroids, perhaps in cores,
perhaps in isolated pods in the mantle that never sank to the asteroid
center. I'm not convinced by these models, but perhaps this exchange will
prompt one of the advocates to explain it.
Alan