[meteorite-list] Secret Find/Fall Coordinates and Legitimacy -Someone help me understand this.

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 18:04:07 -0600

My perspective, as someone who neither collects nor hunts meteorites, is
that it doesn't much matter. All meteorites come from the same place: space.
And where they actually land rarely matters from a scientific standpoint,
beyond perhaps the general region (which seems always present in the
database). If the nomenclature committee were to have a policy of not
accepting meteorites with deliberately undisclosed locations, should they
also refuse to accept specimens with unknown locations? Scientifically,
there is no difference.

I'm all for maximizing the information available, but I wouldn't refuse to
make "official" specimens that are missing information, whether deliberately
withheld or not. That would be scientifically counterproductive. (I
certainly understand why someone owning property where a meteorite is found
would wish to keep the location vague- either a region or lat/long to a
degree or so of precision.)

Of course, I recognize that there are rare cases where knowing the exact
coordinates of a meteorite are essential- for instance, in the kind of work
I do, modeling falls from orbit to fireball to the ground. But such research
represents only a tiny fraction of the science devoted to meteorites.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com