[meteorite-list] Gestures of Generosity Fade to Black

From: Kevin Kichinka <marsrox_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 21:19:52 -0600

Earlier today I ran an advertisement on the M-List offering to sell
one of the last "signed and numbered" copies of a book "The Art of
Collecting Meteorites" that I am quite proud to have written. As most
of you know, I was honored to enjoy contributions for this endeavor
from many wonderful people in the science and meteorite communities.
No such work had been done before, and no such work has been done
since. With copies in the Smithsonian and the US Library of Congress,
I guess when I'm gone it will be my lasting legacy.

The auction today was successful and now I have only eight or nine
"signed and numbered" copies left to sell from the 500 I originally
allotted. Most of these have been purchased by list members and I am
grateful.

While I don't like to constantly write to this venue about these sales
as it just adds to the clutter of advertising here- I remember when
there was none- I will let collectors know when #500 is offered
because that will be special and (maybe to some) significant.

Additionally, as I've lived in Costa Rica for some years now and must
rely on friends and family to mail "sold" copies from the USA, when
the last box of books is sold I'll probably and reluctantly let it go
out of print. This book continues to open doors and make friends for
me in far away places and when there's no more to sell, well.....:>(

When I checked the result of my auction on eBay tonight, I was
embarrassed, appalled, saddened and disgusted that the opening eBay
page of "things that will interest me" included an offer by Steve
Arnold of Chicago to sell a copy of my book that had been recently
gifted to him by a list member. Steve thinks that he ought to receive
$30 for what will become a "third hand" copy of something he received
for free.

Here's his offer, carelessly written in "ALL CAPS" for "THNG METEORITE".

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-ART-OF-COLLECTING-METEORITES-KICHINKA_W0QQitemZ290361149145QQcategoryZ3239QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3907.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D12%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D54

Of course, while it's Steve's property now to do as he likes, I wonder
who would pay so much for a used book when crisp new ones are
available for less? I wonder how this sale of a gift squares with
Steve's contrived image as Mr. Freebie?

I'm no Saint, but in my personal life, while I struggle to pay the
bills like everyone else, when I receive a gift I don't want, I feel
it best to just give it to someone who does. Show some love. It's a
painless, cost-free investment that returns high dividends.

Luckily, I am happily of the belief that where ever the book lands, it
will be read and enjoyed by someone truly interested in learning about
meteorites.

Of course the best resolution would be to drop the eBay sale and
quietly without self-proclaimed fanfare give the book away Steve, just
as some generous and caring soul did when they sent it to you.

"Off list, please."

Kevin Kichinka

MARSROX at gmail.com

www.theartofcollectingmeteorites.com