[meteorite-list] "The Tucson Show" isn't going anywhere

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 10:04:19 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Adam,

I hope so too.

According to the AGTA website, they represent about 1000 dealers, of which about 200 attend the Tucson show...

Agreed that Vegas has many positives, and they too are very much in trouble by the current economy. That's no secret as it has made the national news a number of times...

As for Tucson losing a great thing, anything is possible. Current discussions here is Prop 200 where the city will have to add a lot more Police and Firefighters. If this passes, over 5 years the cost will be almost double the annual budget of the zoo and all of the parks and recreation, so how would we pay for that? Close every park & the zoo and what else?

I can sympathize with the high costs of attending any show that you and all the other dealers have. I can't speak to that since I'm not a dealer. I would suggest that with AGTA threatening to leave, now is clearly a good time for you and all of the other dealers who come to Tucson to let the city council know that you aren't the cash cow they want you to be.

>From years of watching sports teams demanding new stadiums for "or we'll leave", they usually have already decided to go no matter what.

I suspect AGTA has already decided to go to Vegas in 2011 or 2012 too.

Hopefully this will be a wake up call to the City Council to get off their fat a**es and do something productive for the city. More rumbling from other dealers may scare them into action.

I'll end by saying "the Tucson show" isn't going anywhere...

This year...

--
Richard Kowalski
http://fullmoonphotography.net