[meteorite-list] "The Tucson Show" isn't going anywhere

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 09:24:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Richard and List,

I hope you are right about the Tucson show staying but in this economy anything can happen. By the way, the AGTA who is more than likely leaving brings in 2,000 dealers not 200. Like any mall that loses their anchor stores, it is just a matter of time before others follow. It is not just this group who has been complaining for years about the lack of infrastructure in Tucson. I hope this serves as a wake up call and Tucson makes the show more tourist and dealer friendly. It would be nice if new hotels replaced the flee-bag places and the gouging stopped. I am pleased to hear that the freeway is finally approaching completion.

I do know that Nevada is campaigning hard to bring business to the state spending millions on TV commercials in other states. They are advertising the business friendly environment and favorable tax laws. A $100 million annual influx would be very attractive and I know how aggressive Las Vegas is when they want something. This would not be the first time a major event has been moved to Vegas. Just look at NASCAR and Shelby for example. Not one, but two major races a year! Most cities couldn't handle just one.

Let's hope that the Tucson ctiy council learns a lesson from all of this and stops taking the show and attendees for granted.

Best Regards,

Adam