[meteorite-list] "Don't Check My Bag if You Please....

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 19:55:34 -0800

Hello All,
Sorry for the late reply to the topic, but I'm currently in Oakland
International waiting to board with a 3.5kg stone in my backpack.
I planned ahead, anticipating some scrutiny from security (got here
with a few hours to spare), but they only held me up for about ten
minutes. I think my age may have had something to do with it, but the
factor that seemed to sway them the most was the specimen card that
accompanied the rock.

To be honest, it seems like dubious security work to me - label or not
I suppose I could use the thing as some sort of a weapon (if they
would otherwise have not let it on, a label seems a poor excuse),
but...I'll not complain.

To that end, I'd say that if one's worried about getting onto a plane
with meteorites, just...bring some labels or literature - some sort of
evidence that suggests that you're not planning to use it for
something illegal - and be prepared to take it out and explain what
those little circles or the funny patten is...

Thinking back, though, my favorite incident involved security agents
at Charles de Gaule. We were trying to check a stone, and the thing I
remember most clearly about the ordeal (I was around eleven years old
at the time) was their asking us if the Gao in question was a bomb...
They took some convincing, but let the stone through in the end.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Jason