[meteorite-list] "Don't Check My Bag if You Please....

From: Kevin Kichinka <marsrox_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 13:04:54 -0600

...... Mr. Customs Man." - Arlo Guthrie

"Coming in from London
>From over the pole
Flying in a big airliner
Chickens flying everywhere around the plane
Could we ever feel much finer?

Coming into Los Angeles
Bringing in a couple of keys...."

***************************************

... of small-scale examples of the ultimate weapons of (planetary)
mass destruction - meteorites.

Thanks to list members, Adam, Darryl, Robert, and two Dave's for
sharing their experiences while hand-carrying mets on-board domestic
and international flights.

After my trips to the Tucson show (last visit- sadly way back in
2002), I'd return to Florida loaded with hand-grenade-size chondrites
and cannon-ball-size Irons in my hand-carried without a worry of
raising threat levels of terrorists tendencies to Code Red. But in
2009, I figured that the "times they are a-changing" (Dylan).

Since 2003 I've made thirty (30, yes) round trips to my home here in
Tambor de Alajuela, Costa Rica. I know the rules well (subject to
change without notice) even if American Airlines only emails me
frequent-flyer spam offers of Jamaican vacations but can't tell me
when they change a baggage allowance. If I be gellin', it's packed in
a checked bag.

I fly out of FLL (Fort Lauderdale) after driving two hours across
Alligator Alley in a rental car from Fort Myers. There's no easy "home
return" for disallowed items, i.e. bunker-busting meteorites. As I
learned last June when I tried (and eventually succeeded) in bringing
aboard a new quad-processor PC, even the metal-framed box used to
determine the acceptability of one's carry-on bag varies
airport-to-airport.... forget what's on the American Airlines website.
And nothing orally represented to you on the phone means anything at
the check-in counter.

The computer in its flimsy box was not a carry-on weight problem, and
three inches less than the 45" cubic allowance, but of the wrong
height dimension. Even if I paid $100 for checking a third bag, it was
impossible to check without the baggage-handlers destroying it. We
worked it out when I gave my day bag to a carry-on-free passenger to
hand to me once we boarded. I carried on the computer. It wasn't my
idea, the American Airlines check-in lady told me to do it that way.
It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.

Based on list members experiences, I don't believe one can routinely
transport meteorites on a plane without the threat of loss or serious
hassle so 'll have to settle for visitation rights back in Florida. Or
I guess I could hire DHL. Thanks for the info.

Meteorite Subject #2

While I would guess that all m-listers read the free, monthly,
Meteorite Times to learn about meteorites and absorb and consider the
worthy insights of its contributors, no one has yet mentioned the
stellar November issue that Paul Harris has just put together. It's
not to be missed.

Martin Horejsi's sensitive and well-researched article on the Sudan
fall "New Halfa" brings vivid color to this glossy-black, fusion
crusted chondrite.

Gentleman Jim Tobin's cleverly-written photo-essay of his recent
Mojave adventure with best-buddy Paul takes you along as a welcome
guest, ultimately blasting off for space measured in Oreo cookie
kilometers.

Norbert Classen posts a stunning photo of the world's largest Iron,
Hoba, en sitio.

Bob Verish teared me up with his well-written, intimate memoir
enhanced by touching personal photos describing some quality time he
spent with every one's friend, Richard.

John Kashuba, offers this month a photo album of breccias, topped with
NWA 2727, a mind-boggling lunar.

And a tip of the sombrero to Darryl for obtaining the Indonesian
ataxite Lovina. Click on Macovich.com from the Met Times opening ad
page, then "Lovina", to view arguably the world's most incredible
Iron. I blinked in disbelief the first time I laid eyes on it. I love
Lovina.

The Meteorite Times they are always a-changin', and if you read all of
the issues you won't need a Weatherman to know which way the winds are
a-blowin' the bolide smoke trail. Thanks to Paul and all those who
donate their time to produce this wonderful contribution and help keep
our meteoritic fires burning bright.

Oh look, a toucan flying over my house! It's nature's way of telling
me... to quit typing and go mow the lawn.

>From Nine Degrees North,

Kevin