[meteorite-list] Observations on Age of Carolina Bays: Paul H: Rich Murray 2009.11.15

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 15:18:40 -0800 (PST)

Hi Rich, Paul -

I think that they're looking at secondary craaters from ice chunks thrown out by original imapcts. While the Shawnee remembered multiple comet fragments hitting at the YD, my guess is that the bays may be from a different impact than the YD.

There seem to be other oriented tangential impact crater fields. There were other ice ages, and other impacts. Bottom line, there's been more impacts than we ever imagined.

We'll see - good luck with your research. Your white layers sound like impact "flour", but that wouldn't be from the YD.

The big wait is for the USGS cores from the Carolinas, which should be most informative. Gene Shoemaker's accident was truly misfortunate, as in my opinion if he were still with us this all would have been cleared up by now.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas