[meteorite-list] Meteorites & Competition

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 12:44:21 -0800

Hi Dave, List, Adam and all who care,

Let me be absolutely clear in my statement and meaning so as no to
confuse anyone about my beliefs and views on the IMCA, corporations,
profit, and the influence that such entities have on the meteorite world
and access to the knowledge it provides people about our universe.

Profit is not always monetary. In fact profit can be and is power and
influence based on what the intrinsic cost of input versus what's
returned, whether that be a trade in time investment, or a tangible
product. Everything has value, and more importantly that perceived value
is what makes the world go round.

I support the IMCA and what they stand for and have respect and
admiration for the people who created it and work hard to build it
everyday. I have many friends and business colleagues who are members of
the IMCA and members of the board. I have been invited many times to
become a member and have politely and respectfully declined to join at
this time. This is not to say that I will not ever become a member, nor
does it say that I dislike the IMCA at all or even worse, view them in a
negative light, which I do not. I am NOT an arbiter for corporate
sponsorship, or the IMCA, nor do I subscribe to the view that anyone
should be. The integrity of the meteorite world is based upon the
integrity of individuals within this community, and NOT any one group.

Your statement Dave:

"...'The word "corporate" to me means restrictive for profit...'..."
Wikipedia? Oh, goodness..."

No, that's not Wikipedia at all, that's my view, and just what I said it
was. ;)

There is nothing horrifying about profit, and if I understand your post
correctly and if you were simply being facetious, I would agree. The
issue is not profit, the issue is about at the very least the temptation
of influencing restrictive rules or guidelines that limits public access
to knowledge and physical display of specimens.

"...Then you wrote: "My personal beliefs are that people should have
free access to the knowledge and information that meteorites and
astronomy provides."

And...? ..."

To answer your simple question, I will give a simple answer. I've
already said it.

Don't limit or restrict access or use the power and influence of a group
to control something which should be freely available knowledge.

Let other enjoy the meteorites too... Share.

This has all been hashed out in the past, and I'm not trying to bring
something up that's already been discussed at length, I'm not attacking
anyone or any group, I'm simply saying I don't like group power because
they tend to forget about the little guy, whether it be purposefully or
by unintentional means.

Respectfully of course...

Regards,
Eric Wichman