[meteorite-list] Richard Norton: stunned shock

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 18:29:20 -0700 (PDT)

Hello everyone -

In my day to day work with impacts I deal with the sudden unexpected deaths of hundreds of thousands of people. I try to remain light hearted in my comments, as these impacts are bad news that many people have trouble facing. I am so light hearted that sometimes people wonder why I am so intense as well.

I suppose that there is no higher tribute to the character of Richard Norton than the fact that the meteorite community has come to a screeching halt.

The wikipedia entry should be easy to write, just by taking the obituary which his wife Dorothy wrote and placing it there.

Reading this obituary, I was surprised to learn of his development of the fish-eye lens, as I had by quite taken at Disneyland by the 3-D effect when an image is projected against a hemisphere. Beyond the meteorite community, this technology touches millions of people each year.

I wonder if his illness was related to his work at the atomic tests? Many have passed due to radiation exposure at these; no one knew at the time.

Bottom line, Richard Norton was blessed with opportunities which he made the most of. He was also blessed to find a good partner, and had a long life, passing while surrounded by friends and family. Not many have such a fate.

The lesson that I take from this is that we should keep in mind that each moment of life is precious, and we should make the most of it.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas