[meteorite-list] Richard Norton

From: Dave Gheesling <dave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 20:41:01 -0400

"To hold in your hand something alien, created before Earth existed,
irresistible. Once, while giving a lecture to a group of vacationers on a
cruise ship, I casually handed a meteorite to someone in the first row and
asked that it be passed around so everyone would have a chance to hold a
rock from space older than Earth. The reaction was electric. People
clambered to touch it, and a riot nearly ensued. The allure of these
ancient rocks is universal. They speak in all languages. To hold something
older than Earth is to return to creation itself..."

O. Richard Norton
Rocks from Space (from the Introduction)

All has already been said, and this tribute to Richard Norton has been
appropriately incredible. Returning to these words (the best I've ever seen
to describe the sensation we all know so well) from time to time has become
habit for me, and I'll always appreciate more than words can say the
wonderful doors of inspirational opportunity this book has opened for me and
countless others...

With deepest sympathies and highest regards,

Dave Gheesling
IMCA #5967
www.fallingrocks.com