[meteorite-list] Ocate, NM Iron Classification

From: Rob Matson <mojave_meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 23:32:03 -0700

Hi Greg,

I'm sure you're probably right; I just found the chemical similarity to
CD to be interesting, and perhaps noteworthy enough that UAb would have
commented on it. I'm not an iron meteorite expert; it could well be that
the gallium and germanium differences are sufficiently high that a CD
pairing is ruled out (a question for the iron experts on the list).
But I should think you couldn't rule out a pairing based on the find
location -- there are many suspected Canyon Diablo transports in the
literature (e.g. Panamint Range, Camp Verde) and I'm sure E.P. Grondine
could cite other examples of CD irons that were relocated by Native
Americans in centuries past. --Rob