[meteorite-list] Is 3He a cometary marker?

From: Mexicodoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 02:24:10 -0400

Hi Ed, Dr. Bunch,

Not quite sure I follow what you mean by a long period comet becoming a
short period comet and apparently circulating for millions of years. I
thought such comet lifetimes are significantly less than that and if
the literature I saw is to be believed, along the P-Tr unconformity, a
two million year interval was hypothesized based on 3-He findings, and
more recently geologically . Farley, posthumous Shoemaker, et al also
found about 2 million years of a hypothetical comet swarm at the Eocene
Chesapeake Bay crater time period.

It is hard for me to imagine a comet accumulating much of anything from
the Sun as you conjecture, since it is losing mass very quickly with
each orbit, though perhaps meteoroid streams could. I think 3-He is
certainly considered an ET marker, especially for small particles of a
cometary nature, bucky balls and the like ... In any case, I think your
questions would be excellent to pose to Dr. Ted Bunch if he has a
moment, a list member who has quite a a bit more experience than me in
this subject ;-), and probably knows the authors you are question about
personally...

Best wishes,
Doug