[meteorite-list] Tunguska Questions

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 21:48:23 -0700

Hi,

Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia, however accurate this is I'm not sure
but it give and example of the firepower of a "small" projectile. The
charge used to fire such a distance is a few pounds of gun powder. Maybe
I was wrong about the hundred mile range of the Naval artillery.

"...On 20 January 1989, during an improperly authorized gunnery
experiment off Vieques Island, the USS Iowa fired a 16-inch (406 mm)
shell 23.4 nautical miles (27 mi; 43 km), setting a record for the
longest-ranged 16-inch (406 mm) shell ever fired..." SOURCE:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Iowa_(BB-61)

A nautical mile is equal to 1.15077945 statute miles. 27 nautical miles
is equal to 31.07 miles range.

Compare this Navy gun to the power of the blast at Tunguska and you have
a real good way to not only vaporize a large portion of the meteoroid,
but maybe to launch large pieces tens of miles away from the epicenter.

Do you really believe absolutely EVERYTHING was destroyed from the
blast? I know a nuclear explosion is powerful but come on. Don't you
think it's possible something larger than the grain of sand, macroscopic
particles, and isotopic evidence survived?

Regards,
Eric