[meteorite-list] Anyone remember this?

From: Darryl Pitt <darryl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 11:53:51 -0400

Yes, there was a steel mill nearby and a wood-chipper component to
this story. Mike Fowler of this list who is expert in such matters
brought this notion to light.

I might also mention that Eric Twelker had expressed his doubts to the
same New York Times reporter with whom I had spoken, and he reached
out to the lead scientist and warned the object wasn't a meteorite, to
which the scientist at Rutgers tersely responded, "Get your facts
straight."

Indeed.

As Mike had pointed out, the guys operating the hypothetical chipper
wouldn't be inclined to come forward. Rutgers also had no interest in
determining the true origin of the object or just how earthly it was.

.