[meteorite-list] Buzzard Hunt

From: Mike Bandli <fuzzfoot_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 15:14:27 +0000 (UTC)

A big congrats to Tett on his first ever find! We were all honored to be a part of it and his reaction was both priceless and infectious. You couldn't have asked for a better stone, really. Beautiful piece ad the Buzzard definitely got him buzzed to find many more.

Congrats to Patrick Herrmann for finding some exceptional stones as well. That day our little gridding group was like a meteorite conveyor belt cranking one out every 5 minutes or so. It is sad to see the machinery getting prepped to mutilate the field, but it is planting time and farmer's have to farm.

Rob and I noted a few strange firsts (for us) during this trip. They are:

Finding meteorite within 2 minutes of arrival at strewnfield.
Finding meteorite while tying shoe-lace.
Finding meteorite under water.
Finding meteorite embedded in cow dung.
Park car, open door to find meteorite.
Park car, get out, find one meteorite at the back of car and one at the front.

We noticed four (very) elderly folks walking the roads dragging magnet canes across the gravel and stopped to talk. It became quickly obvious that they had no idea what they were looking for when they asked if the gravel dust on the bottom of their magnets was the meteorite. We didn't have any stones with us at the moment so Rob and I decided to hop into the field and see if we could find a stone to show them what they look like. We looked at our watch to time how quickly we could find a meteorite and within about 4 steps and under 30 seconds we found a stone. We quickly ran back to the elderly group and presented them with their first rock from space. The reactions were unforgettable. 4 more meteorite hunters born in their 70's and warm, fuzzy feelings for everyone. We dubbed this the 'Karma Stone' as it led to a chain of events taking us to a very fruitful area that we wouldn't have hunted had that not happened.

Some notes on this magnificent fall:

Many of the stones are exceptionally fresh. Some with no visible oxidation. The snow has had little effect on the material and this is, in part, due to the constant very dry air moving across them. Even the stone found under water looked good. Meteorites found on top of vegetation looked like they fell that same day. Meteorite in contact with the soil, especially with broken surfaces, showed the most oxidation. The stone I found in the dung was broken in half with the exposed interior facing up, but had no visible oxidation. Apparently, cow poo has some anti-oxidizing properties :) Lots of flow lines on pieces, which is not so typical for H-type crust.

Another magical life experience on the books.

Mike Bandli