[meteorite-list] Buzzard

From: tett <tett_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 07:21:20 -0400

Hello List,

I have just returned from Buzzard Coulee after 4 exhausting days of
travel and meteorite hunting. It was wonderful to experience the
Prairies and to hunt with other meteorite enthusiasts. Hunted with
friends from the Royal Ontario Museum, Patrick Herrmann, Rob Wessel and
Mike Bandli.

All of us were successful. Mike and Rob took me under there wings the
first day out and shortly after starting with them I found a 90 gram
individual with over 90% crust. I was on cloud 9! This stone turned
out to be the largest our small group was going to find. After giving
half of my haul back to the land owner, as payment for rights to hunt, I
came home with just under 1/4 kilo (12 individuals). Will post some
pictures soon.

The plows are now working and it looks like the farmer's fields will be
tilled any day now. However, there is much woodland to be searched and
I am sure many fine specimens are waiting to be found. The woodlands
will be extremely tough to search and it will take much more work to
find anything compared to our field hunting. They may even prove
impossible to search.

Having walked over 50 km in 2 full days and 2 half days I now have a
greater appreciation for how difficult it is to hunt for these
treasures. Buzzard Coulee was easy compared to many and it still took
about 3 km of walking (on average) before finding a stone. I don't
think I would have been able to stand West where many hunters were lucky
to find one stone in a day.

Cheers!

Mike (tett) Tettenborn
Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada