[meteorite-list] High winds aloft during east coast fireball last night

From: Fries, Marc D <marc.d.fries_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 13:58:49 -0700

Howdy all

     My brother and I did a preliminary assessment of weather and radar
associated with the fireball yesterday evening, and things look grim for the
home team. The jet stream was directly over Norfolk with 100-120 kt
(185-225 km/hr) winds out of the SW. Dominant lower level winds were ?well
organized, strong and deep? following on the passage of a cold front a few
hours previously. The reduced radar data set available today doesn?t show
anything out of the ordinary for local weather, which is reasonable
considering the high winds that should be sufficient to quickly dissipate a
debris plume.

    Considering this one was described as moving NE from Virginia Beach, VA,
it sounds like a Fishy Squisher anyways.

     We?ll have another look when the radar archives refresh. I hope it
pans out ? I really want to see a refrigerator with North Korean markings on
ebay.

Cheers,
MDF