[meteorite-list] Fireballs From The Sky: Bombarded

From: GeoZay at aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 11:51:11 EDT

Eric>>Isn't this abnormally high meteor activity?<<

geozay>>It doesn't seem so to me. <<

Let me add something I just found in IMO's (International Meteor
Organization)Visual Handbook, Chapter 5.2 under Fireballs: " Then, there is a seasonal
variation: around the time of the vernal equinox, fireball rates are about 3
times the rates seen around the autumnal equinox in the northern hemisphere.
This ratio was derived by Halliday and Griffin (1982) for meteorite falls. It
was proven by Rendtel and Knofel (1989) for visual and photographic
fireballs. "

George Zay

**************Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? Make dinner for $10 or