[meteorite-list] Proud Tom Call !

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 18:43:53 -0700 (PDT)

For the record I enjoyed proud tom and wasnt offended and thought that it was great fun.
However, I am with Anne on this one.
For example you would never see a similar site spoofing the worlds top Chrysler dealers or restaurateurs (Or the main players in pretty much any other industry either). Proud Tom does reflect badly on the meteorite community and sort of makes many of the worlds top meteorite people look like a bunch of drunken freshman on frosh night that mysteriously gets the photographic record posted on facebook.
Remember, this is not a few pictures and jokes being passed around a small bunch of friends in Tucson or Munich but open for anybody on the world wide web to see. Police have been trying to educate 15 year olds about posting revealing photos of themselves on networking websites reminding them that it could come back to haunt them in 10 years time (When presumably they have matured a bit and has employers and others looking for past evidence of their character)
I think that it is very telling that the author has chosen to remain anonymous (Worried about lawsuits maybe) Why are you afraid to show yourself?. I am sure that some people (And their lawyers) would like to know who you are.
Proud Tom had its moment but it is time that proud tom got buried and forgotten (Assuming that anything once posted online can ever be forgotten)
My thoughts anyway.
Sincerely
DEAN