[meteorite-list] AD: Large Full Slice of NWA 5549 silicated iron

From: Jack Schrader <schraderj_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:12:16 -0700 (PDT)

Dear list members,

I have relisted the 161.9 gram slice of NWA 5549 (provisional) Algerian silicated iron and I have drastically reduced the starting bid to the rock bottom price $3 a gram which is a steal for a professionally prepared specimen of this truly beautiful silicated iron.? For anyone interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160324560375

I received an educational bit of information ( for me as I was not aware of this fact previously) regarding the silicate inclusions in this as well as all iron meteorites from the?lab doing the classification work on this iron and I have simply copied the info from the email I received here:?

"Basically all silicate inclusions in iron meteorites would be considered Winonites if they weren't imbedded in iron. I guess basically all winonites are are very melted chondrites. However, a winonite is a classification separate to silicated iron. If the winonite is mixed with iron we call it silicated iron, if separate from the iron, winonite. So they are basically the same. But you can't call a silicated iron a winonite iron. Historically they have always been classed separately. What makes winonites rare is that they rarely fall separate from iron."

? Is this?information generally agreed upon?? Best wishes, Jack