[meteorite-list] Sellers of fake meteorites - Ryderdude760

From: Greg Catterton <star_wars_collector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 10:00:49 -0700 (PDT)

This is kind of long, but please read this!

I have been on a mission to get a scam artist off ebay.
Some/most of you may know of Mitch Minor, aka Star chasers meteorites...
I was able to get his listings removed from ebay, my latest "target" has been Robert Ryder, aka Ryderdude760.

He is selling fake meteorites and is hurting peoples sales more then any hammer name issue ever could - if you were new at this and purchased a fake meteorite from him, would you not think twice about buying another from anyone?

I am asking for some help here in getting this guy off ebay.
In my opinion, sellers of fake meteorites hurt not only dealers but the hobby itself.
Here is a link to his current auctions:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZryderdude760QQhtZ-1

I am in need of people willing to purchase an auction and file a mail fraud complaint against him.

He is also now publicly bashing the IMCA in his listings. You can see more about his conversations with Norbert here:
http://meteorite-identification.com/ebay/SSeller/ryderdude760emails.html

Ken Newton has been kind enough to help in getting samples tested that I purchased that will help in getting this guy off ebay, but just one person is not enough to get ebay to do something it seems. I have been calling ebay daily, most days 2-3 times.

I was able to get one auction pulled, but now he has listed 2 more and so far, ebay has done nothing about these newest listings.

I am willing to do most of the "work" in this, but I do need some help.
Anyone willing to help out with this, please do... it will be a benifit to all meteorite collectors and dealers in the long run.

I do understand that not all scammers will be able to be stopped but this guy is just too much... He knows he is selling fake material and I think everyone interested in meteorites should have concern for this.

Thanks in advance,

Greg C.