[meteorite-list] Marching Hammers - Business and Marketing

From: Michael Gilmer <michael_w_gilmer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 21:35:08 -0700 (PDT)

Hi List,

Another can of worms opened up here with the definition of a hammer.

First, whoever emailed Michael Blood and bashed his business
practices needs to have their head examined. I've done trades
and made purchases from Michael and can state that he is a first
class guy. Michael's only "crime" is his enthusiasm for collecting
meteorites that have struck objects.

And let's not discredit thinking people by claiming that some
dealer using the word "hammer" is going to damage the hobby as
a whole or devaluate all other "real hammers". This is being a bit
dramatic. I think most people, including newbies, are perfectly
capable of using a search engine, reading, and learning.

I am going to say something that may get vegetables thrown at me,
but the overall atmosphere of suspicion in this hobby is
unfortunate. I have never in my life seen a hobby where many
newcomers are viewed with suspicion and people launch accusations
against other's business practices based on semantics. Sure,
meteorites are a valuable commodity and any valuable commodity
is going to the target/source of frauds. But all of the suspicion,
accusations, and general rivalry is unnecessary. There are
enough meteorites for everyone. There are enough collectors
for every dealer. And fakes/frauds are much less common than the
alarmists would have you believe. I've done hundreds of meteorite
deals in my short time in this hobby, and not once has a person
tried to defraud me - if they were that type, I wouldn't have
done business with them in the first place.

I'm very thankful that visual astronomy doesn't have the same
atmosphere as meteorite collecting - if it did, I would have
quit the hobby long ago and never learned the wonders of the
heavens above. A handful of people have been very gracious to me
in this hobby, but several have also been twofaced - ready to
take my money when I buy their meteorites, but ready to talk
smack behind my back because I don't buy into their particular
clique. When I got into astronomy and approached an observing
club about joining, I was welcomed with open arms and brought
into the hobby - which I now share with others in the same
manner. Unfortunately, meteorites have not been like that - I
was viewed with suspicion by some from the minute I arrived on the
scene.

Why? I don't know. Probably for the same reason someone is now
talking crap about Michael Blood. Politics, cliques, gossip,
and profiteering - much bigger issues in the meteorite world
than the definition of a hammer.

That's where I stand, even if it's not popular.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

PS - despite all the politics, backbiting, and suspicion, I am
still having a lot of fun collecting meteorites. So NEENER NEENER! :P .... LOL

PSS - to the 5 or 6 people who have been "straight up" with me
in our dealings, you have my sincerest thanks again. You know
who you are. ;) :)

Michael Gilmer (Louisiana, USA)
Member of the Meteoritical Society.
Member of the Bayou Region Stargazers Network.
Websites - http://www.galactic-stone.com and http://www.glassthrower.com