[meteorite-list] Fwd: Re: Meteoroids Before Meteorites

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 12:14:40 -0700

> Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 15:13:15 -0400
> From: <cdtucson at cox.net>
> To: Mr EMan <mstreman53 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Meteoroids Before Meteorites
>
> Elton,
> Yes, I have read all about the theory of ablation. Not much doubt that there is something to that. As science is based on a system of acquiring knowledge, I believe that we must keep our minds open as new and sometimes different information is gathered.
> In my opinion, What this "stone 6" study tells us is that some of the time there is clearly NO ablation. It all depends on the rock type? This is actually very significant information if you think about it. Here we have Millions of dollars spent on THE ONLY study ever conducted to see what happens to six different rocks upon re-entry through our atmosphere. How can you simply dismiss the results? No the facts don't fit neatly into our ablation theories do they. In fact this study brings to doubt the whole ablation theory. If you take it one step further , what is of even more interest is that the one stone that is most similar to true known meteorites did in fact disappear. It may well have ablated to nothing. But why only that stone? Or did it simply fall off? Why did all of the others survive? Why did all but one of the others survive without any fusion crust? Why did the only one with what might pass for fusion crust end up with creamy white crust? It's gotta make you wonder, doesn't it? In science we
should not ignore the facts because they are inconvenient and do not support previous theories. In my mind this is the most significant proof of what happens to various rocks during and after re-entry and if it causes the books on ablation to have to be trashed then so be it. Another very significant piece of this study shows us that even though the bacteria died sometime in the process, we were still able to detect the dead bacteria. This information is huge. Now we just need to find rocks from space with bacteria and now we know what the rocks might look like. This should open up the eyes of our scientific community to begin to look at rocks with different surfaces. Not just depend on Black coated rocks. In fact crust is so insignificant that there is not even a way to prove crust is crust. At this point I'm inclined to think that All we can do is guess.