[meteorite-list] Unidentified object from sky destroys car in Cottonwood

From: Pat Brown <radio_ranch_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 13:45:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Eric, John, and the List,

I am not proposing that the plastic film melted. These types of plastic have a pretty high melting point, I think it mearly stretched without a whole lot of heat. The period of time that this impactor spent going through this windshield was very short (assuming free fall speeds of ~200mph, not orbital speeds), not enough time to transfer enough heat to melt glass or a very tough plastic film (polyvinyl butyral, or PVB).

Pat