[meteorite-list] Unidentified object from sky destroys car in Cottonwood

From: Eric Wichman <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 13:15:19 -0700

The plastic film might be melted but I can't tell by the photos. If it
is then that would mean that the piece of debris was obviously hot while
in flight. Since we are reasonably sure that a meteorite of this size
capable of producing a hole the size of the one seen in the photo
couldn't have been hot enough to melt the protective coating
(particularly at the speeds needed to produce the hole) on the
windshield then I would venture to say it might have been a piece of
fiery -and heavy- debris from some Earthy and very terrestrial
explosion. A burning piece of machinery or metal can fly very far
(perhaps a mile or more) from the location of an explosion. Perhaps this
is the answer. But this hangs on the supposition that the window coating
is in fact melted, which you can't tell by the photos.

These excerpts from the article say most of it:

"...'There was a loud explosion and bright light,' Orsot said. Rustled
from his sleep, Orsot looked outside but didn't see anything unusual, so
he went back to bed.

Shasta County sheriff's deputies responded "...to a cluster of 911 calls
in the neighborhood - all reporting a startling sound..."

"...'It was a big kaboom,' said Leroy Bolls, the couple's next-door
neighbor. 'Like a sonic boom, but real close.'..."

He and his wife, Suzie, said the sound was strong enough to shake their
house, and they thought a propane tank might have exploded..."

The piece pictured in the article is very small, maybe an inch or two
and very light.

 "..The piece Birondo still has at his office weighs 0.07 of a gram.."
This is not the main impactor.

"...Birondo said he sent one to the state Department of Justice crime
laboratory. He hasn't heard back from scientists there on what the
material might be..."

We'll just have to wait and see what the lab says, if they say anything
at all..

Eric