[meteorite-list] West, Texas --stats, etc

From: Robert Woolard <meteoritefinder_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 20:06:49 -0800 (PST)

Hello List,

  I, too, had a great time at the new West, Tx fall. My son and I arrived there on Wed afternoon, Feb 18th, 3 days after the fall, and hunted all day Thu-Sat, the 19-21st. This was our 1st father-son hunt and it turned out very well, as we found 5 specimens, with a total weight of 270g over those 3 days. ( My son beat me by a factor of about 2.5 to 1 in regard to weight found!)

  When we arrived home, my wife saw the beautiful stones and said she wanted to go find some of them. In spite of my warning her about the tough terrain and the biting, powerful winds, she still wanted to go. She had been on one hunt with me 13 years ago, with no finds. So, after having to let my regular job interfere with our meteorite hunting for a week, she and I headed back down there for another try over Sun-Tues, 3-1-09 thru 3-3-09 . We got very lucky again, as we both ended up finding one before it was time to leave.

  Our "find stats" for about 5 day's hunting were:

Total number = 7 individuals
Total weight = 407g

  I THINK my son's 133g find is PERHAPS the 5th (or so) largest stone?? But this is exactly the point I was hoping to make with this post. It really would be nice if everyone would post their totals as well. That way, we wouldn't be guessing/estimating the total number of stones and the TKW. I think everyone would be very interested to see what the true numbers are.

  Best wishes,
  Robert Woolard