[meteorite-list] Panspermia and Mars back contamination

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 00:05:44 -0600

>The whole fear that return samples from Mars, either
>by robotic mission or manned, seems thoroughly irrational to me.

I think that's a little extreme, but I certainly agree with you that any
life on Mars is very unlikely to be pathogenic. On Earth, only a tiny
percentage of microbes are pathogens, and the majority of those have evolved
as such in concert with our own evolution. Pathogens and their hosts are,
quite literally, made for each other.

Still, some microbes are incredibly hardy, and the potential that something
from either planet might become an invasive species on the other (with
unknown environmental consequences) should at least be taken into
consideration when designing missions. If nothing else, any cross
contamination could thoroughly ruin the quality of science that can be
performed.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory