[meteorite-list] Panspermia and Mars back contamination

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 16:38:13 -0700 (PDT)

On a more realistic note...(though I applaud the jocularity)

The whole fear that return samples from Mars, either by robotic mission or manned, seems thoroughly irrational to me.

The very idea that a microbe that MAY exist on present day Mars that will have spent 3 Aeons adapting to a cold, dry, low atmospheric pressure, slow metabolic existence would thrive inside a human body seems, frankly ludicrous.

On earth, extremophiles can only exist in their own little niches because once they are out of them, they either die from conditions or competition from better adapted organisms.

Given the opportunity to go to Mars, I'd be there like a shot and I'd take my chances.

As for Greg's Martian Champagne. I can't help feeling we have an idea for the latest "trendy" craze to part overpaid footballers (soccer players) from their cash.
I reckon you could get these self centred egotists to pay ?300 ($500) for a glass of "Rock Rose" or "Selene Rum" (registered trade marks, patent pending) as they attempt to impress their friends/one night stands and probably make enough money in a month to retire on in London.

I'm gonna be rich

Rob