[meteorite-list] Dealers, Sellers: Please INSURE your shipments

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 19:43:40 -0500

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 12:59:15 -1000, you wrote:

>I have been the victim of theft after discovering that over $1600
>worth of meteorites were missing from a shipment I received from
>Argentina.

>Is it fair for me, the buyer to take the loss alone for this theft?

Isn't it illegal now to export meteorites from Argentina (assuming this is a
meteorite originating in Argentina, not simply meteortes from elsewhere provided
by a seller there)?

Okay, a little Googling, and it is just Campo del Cielo that is state-owned, and
requires a duty be paid to export it:

http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu//full/2002M%26PSB..37....5S/0000006.000.html

I would assume that in a situation (not saying that you were in that situation)
where the shipment would have been concidered illegal (Campo del Cielo shipped
without paying the export) it would be uninsurable anyway.