[meteorite-list] WHO IS THE BEST AND MOST SUCCESSFUL METEORITE HUNTER OUT THERE?

From: rochette at cerege.fr <rochette_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 13:27:27 +0200

Dear list

I saw Jeff Grossman rightfully mentioned Antarctic search leaders on
top of that contest, but the point was dismissed, someone even
suggesting that collecting meteorite in Antarctica is not "hunting"
but "fishing"; myself I hunt and fish animals and I have collected
meteorites both in Antarctica and hot deserts. Recovering meteorite
in Antarctica is not like going to Tucson show, it requires a lot of
walking, and expertise is spotting the right rock (the story about a
single black stone among a 100% pure ice surface is only a small part
of it). Even when done on snowmobile, that is not such a fun when the
skin of you face fell frozen or when you risk ending in a crevasse.
It requires also a personal engagement (who is ready not to have a
shower and fresh food for months?) that is not equaled by tours in
hot deserts. Remember that the Japanese are out of there home for
more than one year when they go for meteorites.
So definitely Antarctic recovery expedition is "hunting", unless you
disqualify as "hunters" people being paid by governments to collect
meteorites.
--
Pierre