[meteorite-list] Pitiful excuse for a meteorite hunter Carl Esparza

From: Greg Catterton <star_wars_collector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 12:26:58 -0700 (PDT)

I have talked to many members of this list about this fall.
I think it would have been best to keep it quiet from day one.
By showing it off and talking about it was much like taking a kid into a candy store and not letting them get any - IMO.

All the drama could have been avoided if the people hunting it would have kept quiet from the start. Surely you guys must have known that there would be bad feelings about this...

Since my first post about this, I have wanted to keep quiet as to not get caught up in anymore then I already have but I have to say that the people who found this should not have made anything public if they did not want others out there, plain and simple.

I too would like to understand why people out there dont want others in their "backyard" yet feel it is perfectly accpetable for them to do the same exact thing in West.

I think alot of BS and drama could have been avoided by keeping it total secret rather then the method of "look what we found, but your not allowed to know where"

This has caused alot of drama on this list and I hope the fall was worth it to those hunting and showing off the finds... I also hope that in the future if anyone who finds a new fall does not want others out there or asking that they simply keep quiet about it.

Greg C.