[meteorite-list] PA fall media hype

From: Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 18:35:36 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, and again, this is where you are failing to understand the point I am making.
When I was in the news in West, it was to get people in the immense strewn field to hunt, you were there, you know most locals were not cooperative or did not care. We wanted to prod them, to get them to collect stones before plowing destroyed them all. You know that every day we were out there tractors were plowing stones under. Either say nothing and watch it happen, or try and get the knowledge out there that they needed to be saved.

The article you posted, you should check the date of 17 March, one month after the fall, that was my third and last trip to West, and there were virtually no more hunters left. I was trying to get the larger stones saved, as that was when we finally got the strewn field stretched out to 14 miles, and with no hunters in the field, there was one hope to recover more stones, only the farmers themselves. The news wanted a story about the large stone, and a price, I had to tell them more than $10,000 which is true.
My story caused NO PROBLEMS, because there were NO hunters left after one month. Steve Arnold left town either the day before or the day that came out. His emails to the list would prove that. So Geoff, name one person harmed by my 17 March article which you quite below, and no stones were recovered after that except on John and Gary's land where everyone had been hunting.

One month after the fall, what harm is left to do. The only goal was to get farmers to find stones as almost all meteorite hunters were gone.
This is not the case in PA, no stones have been found, and while I know the press changes things and moves the story where they want to, there still seems to be almost no attempts to tell people what to look for.
This is my point.

My other magazines etc were not in an attempt to locate a new fall, just stories about meteorites and meteorite huting, generic, great publicity.
There was no fresh fall languishing in the dirt being ignored while I basked in my glory. The "Meteorite Men" show is great, good job, but there is a point to let it go when a new fall should be the focus in these rare newspaper and tv interviews.

Michael Farmer