[meteorite-list] PA fall media hype

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 14:00:52 -0700

Dear Mike:

So, when other people are featured in the media while searching for
meteorites you start tub thumping about it, but it's fine for Mike
Farmer to use the media when it is convenient for him?

During the West, Texas hunt you and your team were in the papers
repeatedly, front page even. I didn't hear any complaints then. The
"Waco Tribune" did a big piece in which you talked about how you
bought a West (Ash Creek) stone during a secret meeting in a local gas
station for "more than $10.000" in cash. Most of that article focused
precisely on how much the West meteorites were worth:

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/stories/2009/03/17/03172009wacmeteor.html

I am sure I don't have to remind you that the newspaper story caused
plenty of local problems. Some landowners right away figured they
might have a $10,000 meteorite on their property too, and land was
closed off to hunters.

You were also the subject of magazine features in "Fortune" and
Southwest Airlines magazines, and many other prominent publications --
very good articles and photos, by the way, and I have complimented you
on them in person. So, if media pieces are about you it is fine, but
you are "sickened" when others get some coverage? Please explain.

Geoff N.

www.aerolite.org
www.meteoritemen.com
www.meteoriteblog.org