[meteorite-list] Arizona fall

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 04:47:46 +0200

Hi Adam,

I was just told, that in US a meteorite always gets part of the land :-(

Mike G., I'd rather say:

Science always first
with a preemption to buy or to get all in exchange for a fair compensation.
The height of compensation has to be known before of course, else nobody
will come for searching (see Denmark).

But naturally there has to be a prologue.
Hunters/experts or those on whose heads the stone are falling
are coming somewhat before first.

Cause else no meteorite falls are narrowed down and no meteorites are found.

Ownership - landowner - no idea. If 100% of the meteorites shall belong to
the landowner, probably that will reduce the number of finds.

There are so many models possible.

Desert states with now prohibitive laws due to paranoia but not able or
willing to finance own expeditions - give them a part of each find for free.
20% for classification, 20% for the state - and they will get quantities
they never dreamed of and which they never could find by their own.
Controlled by MetSoc.

But let the people hunt!

Yep makes meteorites 20-25% more expensive for collectors and scientists,
but so what, the prices of the rare types have fallen with a factor 10-50
from the early desert times on (solely due private hunting activities),
so we will survive.

To protect single huge strewnfields or masses - a matter of course, no
question.

The Argentines were enervated that the Campos were removed - no problem call
it a natural monument. But to forbid all export of all meteorites at once is
an overreaction.
Someone should tell the officials there, that there exist more meteorites
than only Campo in Argentina and that there will fall new ones... I'm not
sure that they mix it up with something like a dinosaur.

And please, a 100g-crumb half-buried in the soil in the middle of nowhere
shall not be called a natural monument.

One really doesn't need that much fantasy.

Something like that what happened in Australia, in Libya, or which they try
to enforce in Oman or Algeria is not wise,
cause less or almost no meteorites will end in the institutes and at much
higher costs.

In fact we simply have to get away, finally, finally, from the so often
propagated humbug,
that science would have to compete with private hunters, dealers,
collectors.

What shall this be for a competition?
If science doesn't search for meteorites, they don't take part in a
competition. There is no competition.

All interesting finds made by the private side are readily available to
scientists too and that at much lower costs, as they would have to find them
by their own, in a larger variety than they would find. (and a part of the
finds they even get for free --> classification).
Is that a competition?

A price competition?
All meteorites got so cheap like never before in history.
The only expensive ones, where the collectors drove up the prices,
are these, which aren't available, cause they are kept in museums and
universities. - Hellooo, you already got theeeem!

Since centuries the private side isn't competing with the official side but
supplying the main load of meteorites, they have in their collection and
labs and where they are working on.
And that from the dawn of meteoritics on.

O.k. they can have a competition, but then they have to enter the
competition and have to carry out search campaigns.
Then we can talk about laws.
But as long as they don't do it is silly.

To close the deserts...to me it almost seems like a sullen call of a child
in the sand-box:
If we are not able to find meteorites by our own, you should neither!

Nja.. we meteorite collectors won't die, if we won't have meteorites
anymore, life will go on without,
but what shall a meteorite scientist do without meteorites?

Ouch, that was such a trivial posting, that I'm ashamed of.
But I refuse to believe - despite we read that issue still so often in
articles -
that there are still people in that meteorite scene, who are even more
stupid than me.

Off to bed.
Martin Barriere

Dreaming to be in Arizona...