[meteorite-list] Arizone fall "a secret" ?

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 15:12:35 -0700

Greg,

I agree with Peter and Mike and Darren and Greg Hupe, and Shauna, and
Martin, and of course Jack especially... certainly, and most profoundly
hope this is a joke. This has absolutely nothing to do with price and
everything to do with hard work. You seem to think that information as
valuable as that should be shared ad hoc with every person who asks for
it. It's not... And shouldn't be, at least not right away. Preserving
the strewnfield and recording all available data is priority. The value
to science of this fall is absolutely important. Though I can sympathize
with your frustration, you'll understand once you get out in the field
that it's not about keeping secrets or withholding information out of
spite or some other conspiratorial reason. It's simply about the time it
takes to properly recover the specimens and collect data that is then
shared with universities and announced publicly.

Those hunters and scientists in the field work countless hours pouring
over eye witness reports, news articles, making phone calls,
investigating, interviewing, analyzing video, maps, trajectories, speed,
angles, photos, weather and many other things aspects I can't mention.
Not to mention wandering around the Arizona desert in July in 100+
degree heat where the normal person wouldn't go.

Get out there! Pound the ground! Do the research. Do your homework.
Spend your money. Search and recover. Hunt! Walk around in the Arizona
desert for 10 days straight with only a couple finds to your name. Sleep
in hotels, and camp out on the ground. Trudge through brush and tall
grass, rocks, and uneven terrain. Walk tens of mile a day through
rattlesnake and scorpion infested desert for days on end. Then see if
you want to release the coordinates to anyone who asks you for them. I
guarantee you won't! Someone, anyone must earn the right to the
information whether they like it or not...

It's about science and work. Get out there and do it. Research, hunt,
then recover your own meteorites.

I guarantee it will be that much more rewarding if you do.

Good luck!

Regards,
Eric