[meteorite-list] Tenth Annual Meteor Mayhem Birthday Bash & Harvey Awards

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 19:19:23 -0700

Dear Friends, Colleagues and Listees:

You are invited to:

THE TENTH ANNUAL METEOR MAYHEM BIRTHDAY BASH & HARVEY AWARDS

Your hosts: Geoff Notkin and Steve Arnold

*** Two weeks from tonight ***
FRIDAY FEBRUARY 6, 2009

At a brand new location:

CENTRO
Tucson's newest nightclub / lounge / restaurant
1 East Congress (at Stone, a VERY short drive from InnSuites)
Club phone: (520) 445-2937

Map: http://www.yelp.com/map/centro-tucson

Cocktails and meet-and-greet: 7 pm
Harvey Awards: 8 pm
Dining, dancing, full bar, and music all night

*Early bird dinner at 6 pm
Centro is a popular new Tucson venue and can get quite busy. If you
wish to enjoy a relaxed dinner before the party, you are welcome to
arrive early and dine at your leisure
The club opens at 4pm for happy hour

Cuisine is modern Mexican-American plus a good bar menu with food
served until late. There is a cash bar, no cover, and all are welcome!
The club has an outdoor patio, with heaters, which is smoker-friendly.

As always, we particularly encourage first-time visitors to the Tucson
show to feel MOST WELCOME to attend. This is a great opportunity to
meet a large part of the meteorite world at the same time, in the same
place: hunters, dealers, collectors, scientists, researchers,
witnessed falls, you name it.

The Harvey Awards are presented each year to a few members of our
community who have made an outstanding contribution to the field or,
occasionally, a really big gaff : ) We usually put on a bit of a
comedy routine also. One year McCartney Taylor did a magic show with a
top hat and everything!

This is a fun social event! You are not required or expected have
dinner, or do anything else except have a good time, and possibly wear
a name tag so we can recognize each other. We love it when our guests
dress up but there is no dress code. In previous years we've had
everything from ball gowns, to Kligon officers, to U.S. Marshals, and
sneakers and t-shirts. It's all good.

A FEW PHOTOS:

2002 party: http://www.paleozoic.org/tucson/events/e-6.htm [no, we
will not be doing the western theme again]

2003 party: http://www.paleozoic.org/shows/tucson-2003/pages/nortons.htm

2009 party: http://www.aerolite.org/news.htm#party

During the gem show, please stop by Room 230 at the InnSuites to pick
up your detailed map and find out about carpooling, parking tips,
latest info.

We hope to see you there!

Geoff & Steve
Tucson Party Central 2009