[meteorite-list] Quasi-meteo-political spice and assorted artificial flavorings

From: Michael Gilmer <michael_w_gilmer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 20:16:48 -0800 (PST)

I have to agree with the growing chorus of - NO MORE POLITICS PLEASE!

TAKE THE POLITICS AND MY WIFE, PLEASE!

I quietly hoped this ongoing Obama-Bush debate would quietly fade as
common sense and decorum would eventually rule the day. But it seems
to have a life of it's own. So, in the interest of introducing
some meteorite-related brevity into this political firestorm, allow
me to indulge a flight of meteoritical fancy...

American politics is not unlike Northwest Africa meteorites -

A new president is like a fresh meteorite - they both arrive with a lot
of fanfare that usually includes a bright light, some noise, and both
make quite an impact at first. Then the forces of nature and fate
exert their inexorable influence on the new rockstar. The travails of
congress, the media, and public opinion assail the president like
the forces of weathering on a meteorite. After a few years, the
fresh face is worn and cracked and the interior starts to rust. And
finally, after much study, the new specimen is just another obscure
entry in an encyclopedia that most people will never read....unless
the "fall" is a spectacular one, in which case people will chatter
about it endlessly on the list.

Or one could compare politicians to tektites - nobody is really sure
what they are, but everyone has an opinion on them. And, it's
possible that both may come from volcanoes on the moon, since neither
seem to be of this Earth.

Now, before I compare politicans to trinitite, I will sign off.... ;)

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

Michael Gilmer (Louisiana, USA)
Member of the Meteoritical Society.
Member of the Bayou Region Stargazers Network.
Websites - http://www.galactic-stone.com and http://www.glassthrower.com